After browsing several different websites and playing around with the items I had around the house, I came up with this very simple solution that gets the bums of my little guys squeaky clean and smelling fresh.
Tools and Ingredients
- 1/2 Pint Canning Jar
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 10 Drops of Tea Tree Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Soap (I use lavender castile soap)
- Orange and Lavender Essential Oils, optional
- Small Spray Bottle (travel size is easiest to work with)
- Heat ½ a pint of water in a small saucepan to boiling.
- In the ½ pint jar measure out the oils and castile soap. The coconut oil will be solid if kept in the refrigerator and semi-solid if left at room temperature. I find it a lot easier to work with when it is room temperature.
- Fill the rest of the jar with the boiling water.
- Screw on the lid. Make sure it is nice and tight. Wrap a towel around the jar and shake. You want to make sure that the oils and water mix really well. There will be separation as oil and water never truly mix but do your best to shake it up while the mixture is still warm. This will melt the coconut oil and make it blend it better.
- Let sit overnight with the lid on. In the morning shake up your solution again. When you open the lid you will see that it has bubbles on the top. That’s okay. Carefully pour the solution into the small spray bottle using a funnel.
- Put the lid on the spray bottle and it is ready to use. Make sure to shake it each time that you use the solution, as the oil and water will separate.
- If you have any of the solution left over after pouring it into your spray bottle, just put the lid back on tightly and store until you are in need of a refill. I recommend washing the jar after emptying it and before making up a new batch. I also recommend using the mixture within a couple weeks in order to prevent any bacterial growth, although the tea tree oil should help prevent anything from growing.
I find that the easiest way to use the solution is to spray it directly on my little one’s bum. You can also spray it directly onto the wipe before using it on your little one. I chose not to do it this way generally because it takes more of the solution. Another option is to pour the solution into a container (an old wipes container works nicely) and then place the wipes into the container.
I use this mixture for every diaper change. When we are out of the house I have a second small bottle all ready to go and in the diaper bag. I use the cloth wipes the same way as I do at home and then toss them into my wet bag with the soiled diapers. It also works as an effective, but gentle cleaner for the hands and the face when applied directly onto the wipe and then used for cleaning. And it costs mere pennies each time I make up a batch!
**Disclaimer: Please note that we do recommend washing your cloth wipes separately from your cloth diapers if you use an oil-based ingredient.