The time has come. I am arming myself with the essential weapons in preparation of the coming battle. The war begins May 21st and I anticipate a difficult skirmish which will last 7 long days. This battle takes place annually and is known by the name of The Flats Challenge. It will go down in history as an attempt by the cloth diapering community to forever squash the misconceptions about cloth diapering for low income families; families without access to a washer or drier; and to education those who already cloth diaper about the challenges that families in such positions face when considering cloth diapers.
Prepare yourself. These are the necessary tools and weapons.
- Essential weapon #1: 5 diaper covers per child. We will be using Grovia.
- Essential weapon #2: Prepared flat diapers.
- Essential weapon #3: Diaper sprayer (which is now allowed under the new rules of engagement for this year’s challenge).
- Essential weapon #4: Camp style washer. This is simply a 5 gallon bucket with a plunger used to agitate the diapers making hand washing easier.
- Essential weapon #5: Detergent.
- Essential weapon #6: A drying rack.
- Essential weapon #7: A willing spirit and a ready smile.
Training begins this week. Here are some training tips which will help prepare you for battle.
- Training tip #1: Practice washing your diapers with a camp style washer to test how long it will take you to clean the flats so you will not be caught off guard and run out of diapers.
- Training tip #2: Test how long it will take your covers and flats to air dry in your environment. Babies don’t like wet diapers.
- Training tip #3: Practice smiling in the mirror when your children are running around naked and screaming so you are prepare for almost anything.
God speed and may the fluff be with you.
Mindy Hill is a Drill sergeant to her two fluff privates, age 2 1/4 and 7 months. She enjoys challenging herself and educating herself about the challenges of cloth diapering. She has the upmost respect for those fighting real battles. You can follow the upcoming battle at happilyhillafter.blogspot.com.