I FINALLY found a wash routine that works for my horrible circumstances. With my HE front loader, and extremely HARD water I have been battling to find a good wash/stripping routine that works for me. I’ve read every post on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer, posted on facebook for advice, but I always had this funk smell before and after the diaper got soiled (worse after). Having a front loader also makes for a big hassle when you CD.
One day, laying in my bed wondering how could I get these diapers clean like they were when I first bought them, I thought about how normal washers have an agitator in them, and unfortunately HE’s do not!! Maybe that was the answer. I glanced at my garden tube with Jacuzzi jets, AND my eyes lit up, I finally had an “ahhh ha moment”! I use my bath every once in a while, but not enough! I thought OMG the jets will agitate things a bit and let them soak since my HE doesn’t allow a lot of water in the machine no matter how much I add! So I tried this little concoction I made up to see how it would go ……and it worked!!!
1. I ran hot water only in my Jacuzzi, letting it get over the jets, put in my diapers, and then I poured 1 tbsp of Tide original into the running water, 3 tbsp of Rockin Green, & ½ cap of Calgon water softener into the stream of water.
2. Let it soak for 2 hours, with occasional agitation from jacuzzi jets. (optional)
3. Drained the water, did a good rinse to get most of suds off, transfered all soaking wet diapers into something (my big blue tub), and took them to the washer.
4. Placed heavy diapers in washer (now machine thinks I have a huge load = more water will be added). Did a quick rinse, no spin.
5. Put 1 tbsp of Tide Original, 1 tbsp of Rockin green, 1 cap full of Calgon mixed together in detergent dispenser.
6. Put my HE setting on “Whites” which includes a hot&cold wash cycle, I chose a no spin cycle, (to keep them soaked after the initial wash) and chose “light soil” cycle = 38 minute for my wash.
7. When that cycle was done, I did a Rinse+ Spin cycle = 20 minutes. Repeat until no suds!!
Line dry your covers and PUL material things, and I throw my inserts in the dryer for 40 minutes on low heat sometimes, or hang them outside, depending on the size load I have.
I’m so happy I can finally wash and get an great outcome. Alternative to this if you don’t have a tub, would be a big bucket like I have, I’ll do that next time, I just stripped them this time and had a bigger load! I think soaking with Calgon & detergent when you have hard water and an HE machine is really important. There just isn’t enough water in the HE to get a good wash!
For my next regular wash, I will do a mini soak for about an hour the same way with less diapers in the blue tub, do a quick rinse in my tub, and then follow through with steps 4-7.