How will I wash my stash if we were to lose power and water? What happens when I run out of clean cloth diapers? Do I really plan on washing everything by hand with a limited water supply? Many questions began spinning through my head, and I realized I hadn't planned for conditions without a washing machine.
In formulating my plan, I slowed down and asked myself the following questions:
- How many diapers does my child use in a day?
- How often will I wash diapers? (As a load, or individually?)
- Do I have enough diapers to rotate clean/dirty diapers in time for them to be dry and ready?
- Where will I wash the diapers? (In a bucket? The sink?)
- Do I have extra needed accessories (diaper rash cream, laundry detergent, wipes, liners)?
- Where will the waste water be disposed?
- How will the process maintain sanitary conditions? (Hand-washing/disinfecting?)
- How long will I be prepared to be without power/water?
Kelly's Closet offered me a very appealing solution: GroVia Bio-Soakers! With this option, I can reuse a cover multiple times and replace the insert as needed...without a significant water resource impact (I'll only need to clean covers). I will always have my other cloth diapers and inserts, as additional options available in my emergency kit. Even if I ran out of Bio-Soakers (my first choice for avoiding a heavier wash load), I will still have a wonderful supply of fluff to wash and reuse. GroVia also makes Bio-Diapers, an alternative to disposable diapers that may be another option.
Cloth diapers are actually a perfect solution for emergency situations. Long before washing machines, cloth was THE only option, and mothers (and fathers) made it work. Granted, emergencies can be slightly different without a known unlimited source of water, but the same principles apply. Reliance on modern convenience is not necessary to making cloth diapers effective. The biggest added bonus is not having the worry of a panicked sell-out of all disposables at the grocery store...my cloth will always be right there.
I'll be ordering some GroVia shells and Bio-Soakers to test drive this solution. In the meantime, I may come up with other ideas, but at least I'm on the right track for being prepared in an emergency with cloth diapers. Are you?
By Julie G.