There’s nothing I love more than a sunny day with a slight breeze; this type of weather is optimal for line drying sheets, clothes, and best of all, cloth diapers!
Now, my husband and I just built a new home, so my husband still has a few projects around the house, including my clothesline! Since I don’t have an actual clothes line yet, I like to use the clothes racks you can buy at a store. I just stand the rack out on the front porch (I know, I know…what a hillbilly). But there are just so many good reasons to line dry your cloth diapers, it’s worth the stares!
Here are a few of those reasons:
1. It uses NO energy (besides your own) since you don’t have to run the dryer. We are always looking for ways to help the planet and our wallets!
2. The sun has the ultimate stain fighting formula! I am constantly amazed at how white my bumGenius microfiber inserts are after hanging in the sun for a few hours. It’s truly awesome! And again, you aren’t having to use bleach, Biz, or any other extra product to get those diapers stain-free!
3. The smell. I find that after hanging on the line for a few hours, my diapers smell like the outdoors, of course. It’s nice to have that fresh smell as I diaper my little man.
4. Cloth diaper advertisement! I can’t tell you how many comments I’ve gotten about my diapers hanging outside. Often, the conversation starts with “I didn’t know people still used cloth diapers.” I then follow with “Oh, these aren’t your mother’s cloth diapers!”
4. Lastly, I don’t know about you, but how CUTE do those diapers look hanging out on the line?!
Now, I know I won’t get to line dry my diapers all the time (when there’s snow on the ground and it’s freezing outside!); but every chance I do get, you can bet my little diapers will be gracing my front porch, happily swaying in the wind!
Of course, there is a potential downside. If you’re in a hurry, line drying might not be your first choice. It typically takes my inserts 3-4 hours to dry completely on the line; the covers, though, typically dry in an hour or less. So, if you have some time, hang ’em on the line!
By Crystal B.