I loved cloth diapering my kids, but I have to admit the day we were finally free of diapers, it was bittersweet. I miss diapering my precious babies (oh, and I miss having babies in the house!), but there is less laundry and I remember being so proud when all my kids were finally potty trained.
When diapering is done, it doesn’t mean your FuzziBunz should end up in the trash! I designed FuzziBunz to be pretty indestructible, so they will last and last, which is good news for all my green mamas out there, like me!
Instead of throwing away old diapers and inserts, I found alternative uses for them and thought I’d share some of my ideas and the many ideas that have been shared with me over the years on how someone can re-use their FuzziBunz diapers and inserts when diapering is done:
- Use the inserts to wash windows or dry off a washed car. Inserts are soft and absorbent; they dry fast and provide great shine on your windows or ride. I never did this, but I always thought that sewing a couple together for a car-drying towel would be a good idea to cover a larger surface area.
- Use inserts as dusters. Yes, you can attach old inserts to your Swiffer duster or even on a wet mop and then clean your floors! The microfiber inserts make great dust cloths — the dust just clings to them.
- Free-cycle your diapers. Diapers in great condition can make another mom’s day. Give them to a friend, neighbor or mom in need and feel good that your FuzziBunz are helping another mom be kind to Mother Earth. If you need a little extra cash, sell them online. There is a healthy market for used cloth diaper on sites like DiaperSwappers.com and Craigslist.org.
- Cushion your elbows! Many rocking chairs have hard wood arm rests, which can be uncomfortable for your elbows when holding a child. I’ve heard of people making a functional padded arm rest, with a couple stitches or some Velcro.
- Send them back to FuzziBunz! We will make sure your gently used diapers are given to organizations that need them. We have donated thousands of cloth diapers to orphanages in Haiti, Uganda and abroad! FuzziBunz will take back any brand of cloth diaper – not just FuzziBunz – just so long as they are clean and in good shape. Find more information at http://motherofeden.com/donate.php.
- Stick some in your first aid kit. They can be used to pad ouchies or serve as a cold compress.
- Clean up after pet “accidents.” Dab them on the carpet to soak up pet accidents; they absorb like crazy!!!
So there you have it…enjoy the new uses for your FuzziBunz and other cloth diapers!
Known as the “Mother of the Modern Cloth Diaper,” Tereson Dupuy invented the cloth diaper that started the entire modern cloth diapering movement more than a decade ago. She later turned her invention into what is known today as FuzziBunz cloth diapers, a popular brand of cloth diapers since 1999. As an inventor, business owner and mom to three, Tereson has many years of personal and professional experience in the cloth diaper industry, and she’s excited to work with The Cloth Diaper Whisperer to offer her perspective on cloth diapering trends and insights.
By Tereson Dupuy