My adventure into cloth diapering is a different take than my husbands. Although I was interested in cloth to save a little money I also thought of the conservation efforts that cloth diapering helps, my husband’s only concern was “Is it going to save money?” So I sat down and asked him a little bit about our cloth diapers and how he really felt about them. Yeah I was really stretching it if I was to get my 100% Norwegian husband to give me any real feelings one way or the other. The only constant with him was, “it is cheap”. So here are my questions with his answers. Maybe you can spot the similarity in how he answered just about every question.
1. Do you like that we use cloth diapers? Yes.
Why? They are cheap and I don’t have to change any. (FYI he has never been big on helping with diaper changes, cloth here did not change much of anything.)
2. Which do you like better snaps or hook and loop? Hook and loop, snaps take too long. (Can you tell he is a get it done now and quick type guy?)
3. What were your thoughts on cloth diapering when I first brought up using cloth? Will it save us money and do you have time to do cloth.
4. Did you care that I wanted to do cloth? No. You would have done it anyway. (Can you tell I like to do things my way?)
5. Are you still ok with me doing cloth? Yes.
Why? It saves money and I don’t have to haul out bags of diapers anymore.
So in the end all my husband really cared about was the money. He even said he didn’t mind hauling out diapers it is just a perk that he no longer has that job. I have a cheap husband. He will buy anything if in the end it will pay for itself and keep on working. I don’t think he really understands that I have more diapers than I need just because I love trying all types of diapers!
So I wonder if I am saving money. I will begin to save more money now because I have had to put a ban on diaper buy for myself for at least a few months! It is an addiction I know I share with many cloth diapering mommas! I am a bit sad that I won’t get to use them on another child as our surprise set of twins became our 4th and 5th children. I hope I can pass them on to a new mom to help her on the cloth diapering path.
By Alyssa N.