If I had to do it all over again, I would probably do things a little differently than when I began cloth diapering a year and a half ago. After trying the bumGenius One Size 3.0 pocket diaper sample pack from Kelly’s Closet, I jumped right in and bought a 24 pack of bumGenius One Size 3.0 diapers. Initially, I choose this diaper because I loved the ease of pocket diapers, and I was able to use the same diaper on both of my boys. (At the time, they were 3 months and 26 months.) My stash remained the same for a while, until I added a dozen large FuzziBunz when my oldest son outgrew the bumGenius diapers.
It wasn’t until earlier this year when I began adding prefolds, flats and fitted diapers to my stash. I had been hesitant to try anything other than a pocket diaper, mostly because they just worked so well, and were so easy to use. The main reason I began to look into the other options is because I wanted to add some fun prints to my stash; the Kiwi Pie fitted diapers fit the bill perfectly. Although I still love my bumGenius diapers for on-the-go and at night, I am really enjoying the variety in my cloth diaper stash.
If my stash were to disappear and I had to buy a new stash I would want to start over with the following diapers: (Of course, I only have one child in diapers now instead of two, and I know my husband would never let me replace every diaper I currently own since he thinks I have too many already.)
- 3 bumGenius 3.0 – The only diaper I trust for overnight.
- 6 Smartipants – For on-the-go, and when others are caring for my sons – I just love the snaps!
- 2 Bamboo Blueberry Minkys – I just love how soft and cute they are and every cloth diapering momma deserves to splurge every once in a while!
- 1 dozen flat diapers – For the economical cloth diapering momma in me.
- 1 dozen pre fold diapers – Again, for the economical cloth diapering momma in me.
- 4 Kiwi Pie fitted diapers – I just love the cute prints!
- 3 Large Fuzzi Bunz – For when the my little guy outgrows the bumGenius 3.0’s for nighttime use.
- 6 Diaper covers – Mostly Thirsties and Blueberry Coveralls because they fit my little guy so perfectly.
- 3 Superdo inserts – I haven’t found anything better for overnight protection from leaks.
- 6 Hemp inserts – For added absorbency when needed.
- 2 Snappis – I’m afraid of traditional diaper pins.
- 2 dozen cloth wipes – Why throw away disposable wipes when I can wash cloth wipes along with the diapers?
We just moved across the county last week and most my fluff was packed up in the moving truck for a few days. If something would have happened to it, I would have been sad, but at the same time excited about going on a major fluff shopping spree. It all arrived at our new house safely, so I guess I won’t get the opportunity to start all over with my new “ideal” stash.
— By Katrina W.