My Top 5 “Unnecessary Necessities” for Happy Cloth Diapering:
- Diaper sprayer- In my first post on The Cloth Diaper Whisperer I promised some embarrassing stories once we got to know each other. So here is my first…I sprayed myself IN THE FACE with the sprayer, not once, not twice, but at least three times! I’m talking full-on-square-in-the-face doused myself and the mirror, walls, ceiling (yes, I said ceiling)! I promise you it was total user error, no fault, whatsoever, on behalf of the sprayer. Despite these early snafus I looooooove my sprayer. It worked beautifully on EBF diapers and now that she’s eating solids it’s even better. Not one of my diapers has ever stained because of this little magic wand.
- Wet bags- I loathe plastic bags.. If I get stuck with one in my house I prefer to recycle it rather than reuse it and have it end up in a landfill in the end anyway. So I carry the Planet Wise small size wet bags in my diaper bag and car for storing dirty/wet diapers on the go. These things contain the smell and moisture and they are just so pretty! I also have a large wet bag I take on vacation with me. I fill it with all of my cloth diapering supplies on the way out, use it as my hamper throughout the trip and pack it as my dirty diaper laundry bag coming home. Couldn’t live without them.
- bumGenius Odor Remover- I’m pretty diligent about rinsing my inserts after each diaper change, but I don’t rinse the actual pockets themselves. I do, however, give them a little spray with the bumGenius Odor Remover. I truly believe this has helped cut down the smell in my dirty diaper basket. I have been known, on occasion, to stick my nose right in the basket to check the smell (I think that qualifies as embarrassing incident sharing #2) and this spray really seems to keep the smell at bay even after 2 days.
- BabyLegs- If I can, I will always avoid putting pants on my little girl for 2 reasons: first, since her bum is a bit bulkier with her cloth diapers certain pants can look quite silly on her and second, I despise covering up her cute little cloth diapers! BabyLegs keep her legs warm, give her cloth diapers their proper exposure and they are adorable in and of themselves. Remember, I said unnecessary necessities!
- Clothesline- I love my clothesline for so many reasons. It helps me take advantage of the awesome power of the sun to “bleach” my diapers, it exposes them to the breezes that keep them smelling beautiful and is another step towards an environmentally friendlier home. I think we can all agree that there is just something about doing diaper laundry and the clothesline takes that a step further. It reminds me of a simpler time. When I bring my basket out and hang those beautiful cloth diapers on the line it allows me to slow down and just enjoy the simple task at hand…if only for a moment.
-- By Jennifer G.